To Her.

Hi Amy,
Ever since I saw 'her', I've been in awe of you. I don't understand. For a futuristic movie, you were quite the stable character.
I'm glad your relation with Theodore never changed.
Change, the one thing that escapes the control of Mighty Human race.
Theodore was wary of Change, he didn't like how he changed, how Catherine changed, how Samantha changed, and then, how he gradually came to live life on autopilot, having exhausted all excitement.
At that point, I felt for him, at that point of powerlessness, and massive vulnerability.
That was when he knocked on your doors Amy.
Did Theodore realise that friendships are the most dynamically static relations between people?
I don't think so. If he did, he wouldn't have expected Samantha to be his, and his alone, he wouldn't have gone into that abyss of solitude (loneliness?) 
Amy, did you also feel numb when Ellie bid Goodbye? You must have, you are only human. Emotions are a given. 
When Samantha bid goodbye, I think Theodore realised. I like to think that he knew yours was the one door that would open, yours was the one shoulder that he could cry on, yours was the steadying hand that would calm him when nights changed into days and the future stretched forth.
That is the beauty and purpose of Friendship. I think you realised it then too. That he could be to you, what you are to him. A Friend.
Wasn't that why you didn't hesitate to go with him then? Weren't you afraid too? 
Don't worry Amy, you chose well. You have a stable friend in Theodore.

Did you realise Amy, how wonderfully brave you are? You chose to prioritise yourselves, you chose to steel yourselves to the world  and it is Hard, (aren't we human!) and that is why you turned to Ellie in your moment of vulnerability. You needed affirmation.
Because telling ourselves that it is enough that Our happiness and Contentment is the reason, is Brave and Tough.

Emotions. The boon and bane of being human. Theodore's drab outlook of life, did it scare you? Well, it did scare me. I also catch myself being nostalgic about the excitement of something small or significant, that lasted barely a half hour. 
That's where I need to learn from you, Amy. You let yourselves feel all the feelings. Your drive, your need to do more, your frustration, your sadness, your laughter, your calm melancholy. I find that very inspiring. Because it seemed full of life, be it when you were gently asking your husband to watch his tongue, or describing your fight, or describing your fears or leaning into Theodore's shoulders, watching the dawn.

I'm happy for you Amy, happy that you will stay Friends with Theodore, happy that you will continue to feel, emote, think and Grow. And someday, over coffee, you will tell the secret of Being Human to Theodore - helping him put a period to the story of his past, by telling him how you managed to slow down from your future. 
Then, Amy, Theodore will transcend that space where Samantha is, the space that is beyond time, a place where the present is eternal. I think he will happy and content there, because you taught him to be a better friend to himself.
Amy, do not be sad when he would pass you on his way there. It is a cruel joke, that the most valuable things in a person's life, like a friendship, will never take centre stage for an onlooker. 
Which is what I was.
But hey, I'm listening to you girl.
Because You can never make everybody happy, so now I know enough to Fuck It.
Yours in Awe.

Comments

Popular Posts