Inspiration.

Checking myself out in the mirror, I finger combed my shoulder length hair one last time before I left home. The jitters were rocking me pretty harshly. I couldn't tell if it was because I was leaving home after so long or because I wasn't sure how my round-er face would fit in with Shorter hair.

Shutting the door behind, I messaged my parents about leaving, soothing their jitters of having a teenaged daughter. Walking towards where she waited, I took extra care to keep my head straight to convince myself of my boldness and devil may care aspiration. 

This had to be sustained for a good five minutes to stop myself from running back and finding solace in my small world with its boundaries and comfort.

Choosing between between fight and flight wasn't difficult. What was difficult was to sustain the fight against the instinctive flight. The draw towards my room and Home seemed compelling but my feet persisted and took me to where she was waiting with the car. Seeing her so self assured in the drivers' seat gave me confidence to breathe easy. In a five minute pep talk she told me about her jitters in driving the relatively new car, and why my shutting up about directions and oozing confidence mattered for our smooth transit.

The drive was very smooth, despite her initial misgivings. I'd say I inspired confidence, but even I cannot get through that without laughing. What happened was the reverse. When we reached the salon, I became more confident about my choice of a super comfortable, albeit needlessly unconventional hairdo. 

The wait was long, but we had no problems there, largely because of the exceptional talent of creating conversation from nothing we both posses. 

We talked about our growth, from judging the makeup and making of Twilight series to judging the promo video of the salon and making plans for our respective wedding sarees, in shades of pink and brown. 

The haircut took longer than expected, but that was also because I had to keep convincing the hairdresser that I really Did want to keep my hair That short. She kept laughing and empathising via text. 

Walking over to the parking area, I asked her whether she'd be okay driving at the night and after rains. She just smiled and said Yes. 

That's all that was needed. Now it was my job to keep shut about my misgivings.

Driving through, she managed to take us home without hiccups at all, even when trapped in a block, thanks to impending elections. Inspired, I also ended up driving home myself, giving my dad some well deserved respite.

Maybe this steadying nature comes effortlessly to her. Instances are countless, with an under confident best friend, of providing reassurance  wholesale. I don't know how you make it so effortless, but god knows I need this. Whether it is clarifying all my doubts and misgivings about the test towards partial independence, or suggesting themes in a flip second to overcome an annoying block, I don't know how you do this. I'm partially sure even you don't know how you do this. As long as we do this for each other (as I hope), we'll merit being destined best-friends forever and after.

Thanks for being the Best best friend.

Comments

Popular Posts